Tuesday, July 07, 2015

yellow corn

Here in Indiana I work for a farmer.  We have a rain gauge and one of the employees writes down the rain every day during the week.  They have records going back to 1988.  The biggest month was July 2003 where we got 15.0 inches of rain.  This past month though we had a new record.  It was 17.3 inches of rain for the month of June.  That kept us from spraying the corn for burr cucumber and morning glory.  My employer who is also family grows mostly popcorn.  He is a go getter and planted it in April so his corn looks pretty good however about 15% is drown out or yellowed.  I have a little field and did not finish planting it until around May 20th.  The first 10 acres was planted around May 8th and it looks okay after that though the corn is yellow about waist high and struggling.  I do not know what will happen.  Very frustruating however I do have crop insurance.  I put on my nitrogen, the corn is just not getting it.  I know in the book of Habakkuk I believe chapter 3 it talks about how we should praise God even if our crops fail.  So I need to be praiseful regardless.  See picture below of my employers field.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Thanks for the comments! I need to be thankful for all the blessings I have.